Thursday, December 18, 2008

God Bless America

I’ve come to the country of opportunities, where everything is possible. It’s the city where dreams come true and a place with no barriers other than your own imagination. There is no “jantelag” and no “I live my own life and care only about myself”. You can do whatever you please and no one will stop you.

---

First two hours in New York City I was wondering what the f*ck I was doing here. Sat in a taxi with a taxi driver that barely spoke understandable English, that couldn’t find the way to our hostel, which wasn’t so strange because it was located in the ghetto part of Brooklyn.

The ghetto part where people was fighting on the streets, big scary hiphop guys with bling bling looking at you and telling you want they wanna do with you, hearing gunshots and subway stations that is dangerous to enter after midnight.

People that choose to live there ensured us that “you get used to it”. But after spending way to much time getting in to Manhattan and work every day, never knowing when the subway is coming and constantly being afraid of whatever I quickly decided NOT to live there, ever.

So we found a duplex apartment in the middle of Manhattan in East Village and life became much easier. No subway, no ghetto and no danger. I have a 15 minute walk to work, pass at least five Starbucks on my way and I constantly take a taxi because it’s easy, cheap and totally NY. Also because we live six floors up and that is exercise enough. We have access to the rooftop from the apartment with a view covering all of Manhattan: Williamsburg Bridge, Empire State Building and downtown.

But best of all is my internship at Droga5. I’m not gonna say the same thing as everyone else because that is just obvious. Pure brilliance should cover all.



Every day when I walk back home to 13th st, I see the Live Well sign from far away, I know that’s what I’m doing and I’m finally home.

Madonna

9 comments:

Petter Säfwenberg said...

You surely know how to enjoy the NYC Life!

Anonymous said...

Well, you should learn from me

Unknown said...

Everything seems perfect. I'm happy for u, madonna!
/Daniel S

Daniel Piquer said...

Material girl in a material world...
I love that NYC has so many faces...
Manhattan is nice but brooklyn is also nice. Don't forget to explore the rest of NYC, they are five boroughs and every one of them is New York.
I hope you come to the party in Mckibbin eventhou it in Buschwick.
Pax ultra

Anonymous said...

Of course Daniel, but brooklyn just aint my place. hanger du overallt i hela sthlm eller? Ne precis.. sjalvklart kommer jag till mckibbin, L train ligger alldeles runt hornet fran min lagenhet! see ya pa lordag m8

nemo digital said...

akta dig for svarta manniskor madonna och latinos ar inte nagot battre heller. Jag sag pa tv att de har knivar och knark pa sig. Jag svaaaaar!
Om du hamnar i brak sag att du kanner Pikko da-Man

Suzy Newbranch said...

Sounds utterly wonderful! I like the way you describe things, everything becomes so very vivid in my mind.

Hope you're still living well and drinking alot of starbucks coffee and NY beer
// Suz

Unknown said...

Tänkte mer på den senare parten. men ja.

Andreas L said...

Nice read :),

"drinking alot of starbucks coffee"

I have never understood the Swedish obsession of Starbucks.