Thursday, November 20, 2008

The black sun never sets in Paris

First week at Soleil Noir in Paris is coming to a close and it's time for me to assess.

Things have started off slowly, but intensely! I'm currently working on some minor stuff on two projects which are both really exciting, although there's a lot to get 
acquainted with! Everyone is really nice and going out of their way to accommodate their first non-french speaking intern! 

Paris is lovely and I'm loving it here! I'm spending my days eating desserts and working. Profiteroles, Moelleux de chocolat, crêpes de nutella et coco! Miam miam! Here's a picture of me enjoying a cigarette at one of my favourite café's. 


Although the work is going pretty smoothly, the language barrier makes for a few weird situations. To say that my understanding of spoken french is "limited" is like saying that the reception of the movie adaptation of the video game Max Payne has been "Mild". I misinterpret a lot and by the time I've figured out which word someone actually said, they're already well into another sentence. 
The fact that french slang is based on the concept of reversing words make me even more confused! Mec is cem which means guy, Fête is etêf which is party.  

But in a way I don't want to become any better at french, it makes for a pretty interesting day hearing people talking about things that always happen "at a party" instead of knowing that they are actually saying "In fact" and working with someone named Waffle instead of the harsh reality of not working with people named after pastries. 

à bientôt, darlings!

/
Andreas Palmerén

ps. Don't forget to vote for the Alfa Romeo Experience site by Soleil Noir at the 2008 MAX Awards! ds.

1 comment:

Andreas L said...

"ps. Don't forget to vote for the Alfa Romeo Experience site by Soleil Noir at the 2008 MAX Awards! ds."

Alfa Romeo sounds very familiar :)

/Andreas