Monday, January 12, 2009

Six degrees of separation



As some of us sought out to conquer the world some of us stayed behind to make sure the beacon of Hyper Island kept shining. As for me I had the privilege of starting off my Internship period by hunting for a suitable agency were I could stir up things. No matter where I went somebody always knew someone from Hyper Island!


Finding an internship as a project manager isn't all that easy.
Almost thirty years old and a background as an army Lieutenant probably isn't your average intern. Adding to this the fact that I am completely without any formal training in finances or budgeting, a key element in the profession. Adding to this the global recession tightening its grip on Sweden's economy. During the months of november and december alone over 40.000 Swedes lost their jobs.
After several interviews trying to explain what use I could bee to them even without economic experience and reassuring that I wouldn't be more of an headache to them than an 21 year old intern. I found myself getting quiet the expert on self promotion.
Anyway, I held my head up as high as I could and stuck to my original plan witch constituted of two criteria:

-Getting an internship be myself and not taking the short cut through friends or relatives and finally, sticking to project management.

Eventually I was contacted by Saatch&Saatch and they offered me an internship placement as assisting planner. Of course I was flattered that they wanted me but it wasn't really what I had in mind so after two weeks of intensive planning assistance I left for a new offer as an management Intern at MRMStarky´s management department.


MRMStarsky is the result of a merger between the digital agency Starsky and the ad agency MRM worldwide. The agency focuses on two main areas, interactive advertising and dialog marketing. Today we are about 60 souls in the office.
Up until now I have been doing all sorts of things such as helping out with pitch preparations, creating motion previews in aftereffect and planning. My next assignment is to be in charge of and leading a week long analysis with a group of coworkers. The aim of the assignment is to find areas of improvement on the site of one of Sweden's largest passenger transport companies. Not something you do in an blink of an eye.

Anyway, as I returned home from the first day at Starsky my sister called and curiously asked me how my internship hunting was coming along. I told here about Starsky and a long silence followed in the other end.

“My best friends works there, you should have talked to me and I would have helped you and talked to my friend”.


Thanks god I didn't!


Love/ David Götmalm
I really miss you all!!

Oh yea.. One more thing.

Happy new year! A bit late, I know,
but I have hundreds of rich and sexy friends.
So I end with the ugly ones...

2 comments:

Lars Thomsen said...

See you at lunch on wednesday!

axel hallgren said...

glad u got it all worked out! sounds like u found the right place, your title.. right now im designing and animating a spot called 'six degrees of history' for historychannel, its kind of monthy python style all crazy, you would fit right in.

happy new year and take care brother!